Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Parties, Shorts, oh my…

Well, an eventful weekend, and week…

One thing I love about the Denver Film scene is the fact that it is still small enough that you can really branch out and meet a lot of people, but diverse enough that every event is just a little different. Went to Aaron Delgrosso’s B-Day party this past Saturday, and it was great to see so many of the folks from CFS in attendance. Bumped into Anthony Cafaro, I haven’t seen him since the Matson Jones video, what was that, 2004?

(I hear Matson Jones is long broken up, anyone know?)

Got to see the trailer for “The Moment Man”, which was James Vincent’s last short, great shots. I don’t know where he is going to premier it. Ditto with Delgrosso’s last, “Donnie’s Inferno”. Both shot on the HVX - P2. I have to say, I'm getting sick of that HVX look, it's too, how do you say it, HVXy. I need a decent camera package. I know, I know - everyone wants the "filmic" look for next-to nothing. But isn't there an alternative? The Sony XDCAM EX1 has been getting some great reviews (cheap CineAlta? Huh?) and Sony fans are raving, but to me, the lens is still an issue. The HVX and EX1 both wear an 82mm perma-mount, which is decent enough for general videographers and quick-fire shooting, but I am really feeling the need for a decent film-glass mount. I’ve been following the HPX500, or splurge for the HVX2000 with some decent Canon glass. (honestly, I’m terrified of focus problems with that Redrock, but who knows…if cost becomes an issue, I can’t ignore the tests I’ve seen with it here. As far as lighting goes, “Look Forward” doesn’t have any night shots, so we can work with that.)

I've even flirted with the idea of going 35MM on this one...Hmm. Pricey. I think the problem lies with trying to trick the viewer into thinking what they are watching is film, rather than trying to push HD into it's own look. Michael Mann did a great job of that on Miami Vice (though the film itself was a bit of a disappointment). I don't think anyone else has really given that push...everything is either super-soft or super crisp...

In other news, I dropped a couple of new shirts into the Zazzle site, fun graphics, something a little different than the single-color punch-line designs I’m used to. Tell me what you think:




I did have one design pulled, featuring a copyrighted image of Che, sorry. Just to be safe, I wrote a nice letter to Best Buy letting them know about this shirt in advance. I would definitely classify this design as a “parody”, and I don’t think in any way would this bring discredit to the Best Buy name, but better safe than sorry. I’ll let you all know how that turns out.

Jumping into a new class also, Business Storytelling and Brand Development. No rest for the weary. Still haven’s had time to work on the script or storyboards, let alone the Website(s).

Oh, and had some nice calls from some of my la-la (L.A.) land friends too, more on that later.

No comments: