Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"The Plan", the movie.

No, the movie's not called "The Plan". I did do a film once called "The Proposal", but that seems like forever ago (ah, to 2007, where are you now?), and IMDB still hasn't posted it!

No, this is the actual plan, and I think I'm typing it as much for myself as anyone. I'm in the middle of a course right now on Project Management, and to paraphrase ole' Socrates, the more I learn, the stupider I get. I always thought I had good organizational skills, but geez! Any Project Managers out there want to give a holla? (Do it in acronyms, please: LS, CEV, TS...)

Anyway, the reason I mention this is I learned all about Baseline Plans, the blueprints for getting big projects off the ground. I was busy drawing one out for this little film of mine (God Bless you, Omniplan!) when it came to me, filmmaking is more than just a shooting schedule, a post and a release. More than prep and preproduction. For the indie, it starts before the script and before the pitch...

Right now, I've got an idea.

"So what?" say you. I've got an idea for a controversial short film about racism. Who doesn't? The key here, is the project itself. This whole thing is a test, a test to see if I can not only make a movie (I can, trust me...it's been done.) but if I can create a project, from conception through distribution, and everything in between.

Well, there is a lot to be done.

So I've got the idea, and I've got the story (and I have the script...wait! No I don't. The script is coming, I promise). So what's the natural next step? I drafted the key art.
OK follow me here.

I want "Look Forward" (shortened form, I chose a damn long title. Won't fit on a marquee, love!) to be a little better than your run-of-the-mill student piece. True, it's a short subject, true it is based on a high concept, but I want the film to have a feeling. I want people to glance at the art and immediately get a reaction. If I can achieve that with a simple little piece of art, it will guide every aspect of the film itself, from the camera to the audio, even to the script, the marketing campaign, the performances, the title design. LF is about a world, and the first glimpse we have into this world, is this:
I call it, "The Eyes".

So what do we really have here? The basis for a poster? a logo design that makes its way into the film, maybe?

Call me the optimist, I see a lot more than that. Squint a little, cross your eyes...I see a visual fabric, I see a story, and I see an image that right off the bat, may draw some criticism.

I hope so. That means I'm on the right path.

No comments: